If the igniter for your grill stops working it can be helpful to try a few things before replacing the ignition system with a replacement igniter kit.
To help determine the cause of the problem as quickly as possible, please consider the following.
- Try lighting the grill manually with a lighter or match. If it will light, then you can be certain that the issue is most likely related to the igniter. For instructions on manually lighting your grill, click here.
- Make sure the grill will reach it's proper temperature range when lit manually. If it is running colder than normal, it could be a gas flow issue. For gas flow issues relating to propane models, click here. For gas flow issues relating to natural gas models, click here.
- Many models have a battery in the igniter module. If your model is one of these, you'll want to try changing the battery. Also, make sure the battery is installed correctly. If you have a brand new grill, make sure that you removed the protective plastic from the battery. Click here for information about battery powered igniters.
- Make sure the burner tubes are clean and in good shape near where the electrode sparks. Click here for info on cleaning burner tubes.
- Confirm that the igniter electrodes are secure and positioned correctly. It is important that the electrodes are in the right place for the burners to light properly. Please check your grills owner's manual for model specific igniter information.
- Make sure that the igniter is making a clicking noise when you press the igniter button. If it doesn't click, then the wires may not be connected properly, the battery may be dead or installed incorrectly, or the igniter module may have failed.
- Inspect the ignition system to make sure that all of the wires are properly connected. Unplugging the wires and re-inserting them into the correct locations may solve the problem.
- If it has just rained, or if the humidity very high, it can interfere with the igniter electrodes ability to generate a strong spark. Manually lighting the grill to dry it out should restore the ability of the ignition system to work properly.
If these tips don't solve the problem, please reach out to us here or at 1-800-446-1071 and we'll be happy to help!