When steaming, the steam pan full of water will keep the thermometer on the controller cooler, which will improve performance of the heating elements. When smoking, there is no water to keep the thermometer cool, so we recommend that the open grates be placed over the controller-side of the grill to allow for the airflow to keep it cool.
Articles in this section
- What types of dishes can I use to keep the food warm?
- Can I use pellets or briquettes for smoking?
- How/what do you steam? Why does steaming take longer?
- Is food supposed to brown while steaming?
- Can I just steam on the grill?
- Will steaming differ on this grill vs stovetop steamer, oven, or steaming appliance?
- Why does the tray have to be on the right side when steaming, but on the left side while smoking?
- Why am I having trouble searing?
- Why am I having difficulty maintaining high temperatures?